Where Your Needs Come First

picture of Elizabeth Riles and Karine Bohbot
  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Workplace Discrimination
  4.  — Handling workplace discrimination against the transgendered

Handling workplace discrimination against the transgendered

On Behalf of | Aug 6, 2015 | Workplace Discrimination |

Although California residents are most likely aware of the strides that have been made for transgender people, workplace discrimination against this segment of the LGBTQ community is unfortunately still rampant. Employers should take a front-line approach to stop such discrimination in its tracks when it occurs at their companies.

According to a recent survey, 90 percent of transgender workers reported facing some type of discrimination in their workplaces. Additionally, 25 percent reported being fired from a job due to their transgender status. This is largely to do with the fact that much still needs to be done to end discriminatory behavior, and the onus for that change rests not only on other employees, but also on their employers.

In order to tackle workplace discrimination against transgender employees, employers should conduct training for all employees regarding the issue. They should immediately intervene if they are made aware of such discriminatory behavior, pulling the violators aside and firmly telling them discrimination will not be tolerated. Diversity in the workplace should be encouraged. It has actually been shown to improve the overall performance of businesses because of increased innovation and contributions from people of all different types of perspectives.

Those who believe that they have been the target of workplace discrimination may want to seek the advice and counsel of a employment law attorney. An attorney may be able to evaluate the circumstances of a particular case to make an initial determination of whether it is likely discrimination occurred. In the event that it did, the attorney may then help clients with filing their complaints with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or appropriate state agency.