Where Your Needs Come First

picture of Elizabeth Riles and Karine Bohbot
  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Employment Law
  4.  — Reasonable Accommodations

Protecting Your Rights To Necessary Workplace Accommodations

As a disabled person, you might need a few special accommodations to perform to your best ability at work. For example, if you are in a wheelchair, you need handicapped-accessible entrances to your building and office space. If you are undergoing cancer treatments, you might need a few more rest breaks in your work day.

Under federal and state law, you are entitled to reasonable accommodations at your workplace. At Bohbot & Riles, PC, we want to help if your employer is failing to provide reasonable accommodations. If you believe you suffered discrimination at work because of a disability or if your employer fails to provide you with reasonable accommodations, we will protect your rights.

To have us evaluate your case, please call 510-250-7278. We are conveniently located in Oakland. We speak French.

Pursuing Compensation Under State And Federal Law

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) protect employees with disabling conditions. If you are fired, denied leave, denied FMLA leave, retaliated against for your disability or otherwise not accommodated for your disability, you may be entitled to compensation.

With 40 years of collective legal experience, we leverage our knowledge of the law and unique insights to protect the rights of discriminated employees.

What Defines A Disability?

A disability can be broadly defined. In employment law, a disability is any physical or mental condition that makes it hard for an employee to work. We represent workers living with disabilities such as:

  • Back injuries
  • Cancer
  • Depression
  • Hearing impairments
  • Heart conditions
  • Knee injuries
  • Paraplegia
  • Quadriplegia
  • Visual impairments

If you have a disability, the law requires your employer to provide reasonable accommodations. You may require an extended leave, frequent breaks, a special computer, a sign language interpreter or a change in job duties. Your employer should work with you to make sure you can perform to the best of your ability.

Determine Your Options To Move Forward

When your employer fails to provide you with reasonable accommodations, speak with an attorney to determine your options. To have our lawyers evaluate your case, please call our Oakland office at 510-250-7278 or complete a free case submission questionnaire. If we believe we can assist, we will contact you to schedule a free initial consultation.